The City - The Sights
Entwined in history
Those who venture out & about in the city are rarely disappointed. Visitors are taken on a journey through history from the ancient Saint Bartholomew the Great, founded in 1123, to the modern arts centre at the Barbican, home to the world famous London Symphony Orchestra.
Taking a trip on the Thames is an enjoyable pastime with boats leaving Bankside Pier just across Southwark Bridge; only a 10 minute stroll away from Mansion House. The Shakespeare Globe and Tate Modern are neighbours of Bankside Pier, perfect for those who prefer to stay on dry land.
'The City' is home to many old London markets and a must see when visiting or living in this district:
Borough market (open Thurs-Sat) provides a feast of fresh and cooked foods to take home or to eat on the go. Leadenhall Market (Mon-Fri) sits in the heart of the financial district offering flowers, cheese, meat along with a host of city bars. This glorious market was the backdrop for “Diagon Alley” from the Harry Potter movies. Smithfield Market (early morning) - A market for those who know what they want and where to get it. Open between 7-9am, there is a focus on meat with other goods being available daily.
The Tower of London and Tower Bridge are probably the most visited of all of London's Attractions. A Monument to the great fire of London stands just to the North of London Bridge, its possible to walk the steps inside to the top, the view is great, but it is not a scratch on the viewing platform at the Shard on the South of London Bridge. If you like gardens and tall buildings, then do not miss the the Sky Garden, entry is free here but you need to reserve tickets about a week in advance.
- The Bank of England - Website: www.bankofengland.co.uk, Phone: 020 7601 4444
- Barbican Centre - Website: www.barbican.org.uk, Phone: 020 7638 4141
- Borough Market - Website: www.boroughmarket.org.uk, Phone: 020 7407 1002
- City Hall - Website: www.london.gov.uk, Phone: 020 7983 4000
- The Gherkin - Website: www.30stmaryaxe.com, Phone: 020 7071 5029
- HMS Belfast - Website: www.iwm.org.uk, Phone: 020 7940 6300
- Leadenhall Market - Website: www.www.leadenhallmarket.co.uk, Phone: 020 7332 1523
- Monument - Website: www.themonument.info, Phone: 020 7626 2717
- Millennium Bridge - Website: www.cityoflondon.gov.uk, Phone: 020 7606 3030
- Museum Of London - Website: www.museumoflondon.org.uk, Phone: 020 7001 9844
- St Pauls Cathedral- Website: www.stpauls.co.uk, Phone: 020 7246 8350
- Old Spitalfields Market - Website: www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com, Phone: 020 7375 2963
- Shakespeare’s Globe - Website: www.shakespearesglobe.com, Phone: 020 7902 1400
- The Shard - Website: www.the-shard.com, Phone: 0844 499 7111
- The SkyGarden - Website: www.20fenchurchstreet.co.uk/sky-garden.html
- Tate Modern - Website: www.tate.org.uk 020 7887 8888
- Tower Bridge - Website: www.towerbridge.org.uk, Phone: 020 7403 3761
- Tower of London - Website: www.hrp.org.uk, Phone: 0844 482 7777