Cheval Calico House
The Cheval story began in the vibrant streets of Knightsbridge, to the west of central London and only a 20 minute walk from Cheval Thorney Court. As an organisation we acquired our first property in 1987 in Cheval Place, a quiet street in the heart of Knightsbridge set back from the bustling Brompton Road, and home to some of London’s most iconic shopping destinations. This was to form the heart of our Cheval Knightsbridge Residence.
Knightsbridge itself is named after an ancient bridge spanning the Westbourne Stream, and as the first half of the word implies, was the gathering point of knights and their retainers. These knights would have required somewhere to stable their horses, suggesting that Cheval Place, from the French for horse, was aptly named.
Key dates for when each Residence joined the Cheval portfolio:
- 1987 – The first apartments open at Cheval Knightsbridge
- 1995 – Cheval Thorney Court opens
- 1995 – Cheval Gloucester Park opens
- 1995 – Cheval Hyde Park Gate opens
- 1999 – Cheval Calico House opens
- 2000 – Cheval Phoenix House opens
- 2014 – Cheval Harrington Court opens after refurbishment
- 2014 – Cheval Three Quays opens